Flowering tropical plants for your deck and patio are coming in each week now that warm weather is here to stay. These plants are not winter hardy in this area, so enjoy them while you can during the warm weather months. You’ll find all your favorites like:
Everyone’s favorite, Mandevilla is available in red, pink, white and yellow flowering forms. This vigorous twining vine is the classic summer tropical for a trellis, arbor or free-standing garden obelisk. Full sun is best and don’t over water.
- Flowering Tropical Hibiscus
Nothing says hot summer days like flowering Hibiscus. We have the most delicious color selection this year including yellow and orange. Bush and single stem tree forms are available in many colors.
This old-fashioned southern favorite has an interesting elongated leaf and blooms all summer long in fragrant red, pink or white forms. Remember, all parts of the plant are toxic, so do not ingest. Bush and tree forms are available.
Another southern garden classic, we can only enjoy Gardenias during the warm weather months here. But enjoy them we do. The unmistakable large fragrant white flowers bring a smile to everyone’s face.
- Fragrant Jasmine
The selection of jasmine varies according to availability, but the selection can include Confederate Jasmine or Star Jasmine, Arabian Jasmine and Jasminum polyanthum. The sweetly fragrant blossoms are without equal.
- Allamanda and Dipladenia
Closely related to Mandevilla, these bush or vining tropical plants expand the color range and leaf form.
Best Air-filtering Houseplants According to NASA
As part of the NASA Clean Air Study which researched ways to clean air in space stations, the following list of houseplants was compiled that eliminate significant amounts of benzene, formaldehyde and/or trichloroethylene, as well as absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen.
- English ivy (Hedera helix)
- Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum)
- Golden pothos or Devil's ivy (Scindapsus aures or Epipremnum aureum)
- Peace lily (Spathiphyllum 'Mauna Loa')
- Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema modestum)
- Bamboo palm or reed palm (Chamaedorea sefritzii)
- Snake plant or mother-in-law's tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata'Laurentii')
- Heartleaf philodendron (Philodendron cordatum)
- Selloum philodendron (Philodendron bipinnatifidum, syn.Philodendron selloum)
- Elephant ear philodendron (Philodendron domesticum)
- Red-edged dracaena (Dracaena marginata)
- Cornstalk dracaena (Dracaena fragans 'Massangeana')
- Janet Craig dracaena (Dracaena deremensis 'Janet Craig')
- Warneck dracaena (Dracaena deremensis 'Warneckii')
- Weeping fig (Ficus benjamina)
- Gerbera daisy or Barberton daisy (Gerbera jamesonii)
- Pot mum or florist's chrysanthemum (Chrysantheium morifolium)
- Rubber plant (Ficus elastica)
So enjoy your houseplants not only because they are beautiful, but they help improve our indoor environment at the same time.
Other Houseplants also found in our stores...
Bromeliads and Tillandsia
And of course orchids, orchids, orchids